Review of Hai Sing Kway Chap 海星粿汁

lock 117, Aljunied Avenue 2, Aljunied Market and Food Centre, #01-15
Nearest Mass Transit Rapid Station: Aljunied MRT
Buses to Aljunied Market and Food Centre: 80, 155
Opening Hours: 07:00 to 17:00 (Daily)
Queue: 1 to 3 people (Waiting Time: Less than 5 minutes)
Service: Fast and good, friendly service
Environment: Clean hawker centre with plenty of seats
Reputation: Traditional Singapore Kway Chap
Thoughts after eating: Fulfillment
Value for money: 79/100
Will I come back again in 6 months' time? No, there are better alternatives

My opinion:

Hai Sing means "star of the sea" in Chinese. This stall specializes in one dish and that is traditional Singapore kway chap. Their food is very famous in Aljunied for being delicious and economical. I decided to try out their kway chap set meal for lunch.

The owners were generous in giving out food ingredients. There were 3 pieces of pork meat, 5 pieces of tau kwa, 8 pieces of tau pok, 12 slices of pig intestines and moderate amount of rice sheets in my food portions. There were no marinated egg or pork skin.

All their food items were not properly marinated and did not soak up on the braising stock. The braising stock was mild tasting and watery. Pork meat was average tasting and rough. Pig intestines were delicious, juicy and tender. Rice sheets were silky, smooth and did not tear apart easily. The soup was one of the best that I have tasted in the last few months. It was flavorful and filled with herbal taste.

In conclusion, the food here was cheap, plentiful but had a few flaws that prevented me from visiting them in 6 months' time. I will advise the owners to spend more time on marinating the food items. The braising stock should be more flavorful and thicker. If you are a hardcore kway chap fan, I will recommend you to give their food a try.

Comments