Review of Upper Boon Keng Bak Kut Teh, Kway Chap and Pig’s Mixed Organ Soup

Block 17, Upper Boon Keng Market and Food Centre, #01-65
Nearest Mass Transit Rapid Station: Kallang MRT
Buses to Upper Boon Keng Market and Food Centre: 21, 26, 31, 175, 546, 853, 961, 985
Opening Hours: 07:00 to 18:00 (Daily)
Queue: 1 to 3 people (Waiting Time: Less than 5 minutes)
Service: Fast and good
Environment: Clean hawker centre
Reputation: Traditional Singapore Kway Chap, Pork Organ Soup and Pork Rib Soup
Thoughts after eating: Fulfillment
Value for money: 75/100
Will I come back again in 6 months' time? No, there are better alternatives

My opinion:

This hawker stall specializes in pork related food products. For this review, I decided to try out their kway chap for lunch.

I was given 1 egg, 3 pieces of pork meat, 5 pieces of tau pok, 6 pieces of pork skin, 8 slices of pig intestines and moderate amount of rice sheets. Egg was big, tasteless and not properly marinated. Pork meat was juicy but rough. Pork skin was chewy, delicious and soft. Pig intestines were well cooked and did not have a fishy or pungent taste. With the exception of the tau pok, all the food items did not soak up on the goodness of the braising stock.

Rice sheets were slightly rough but did not tear apart easily. They also did not have an artificial taste. The soup was flavorful, warm and filled with herbal goodness. I actually finished up every single drop of this tasty soup!

In conclusion, this stall served good food at economical prices but had some flaws that prevented it from greatness. The owners should make the braising stock thicker and review the marinating process of the food items. Therefore, I will only recommend their food to kway chap fans living near Aljunied, Kallang and Lavender.

Comments