Review of D ‘Original Bumbu

1 Geylang Serai, Geylang Serai Market and Food Centre, #02-110
Nearest Mass Rapid Transit Station: Paya Lebar MRT
Buses to Geylang Serai Market and Food Centre: 2, 7, 13, 21, 24, 26, 28, 30, 51, 60, 63, 63M, 93, 94, 154, 155
Opening Hours: 09:00 to 19:00 (Daily)
Queue: 1 to 3 people (Waiting Time: Less than 5 minutes)
Service: Fast and good
Environment: Clean but crowded hawker centre
Reputation: Traditional Singapore Muslim Food, Lontong, Nasi Ambeng, Nasi Goreng, Nasi Lemak, Nasi Padang and Nasi Rawan
Thoughts after eating: Fulfillment
Value for money: 75/100
Will I come back again in 6 months' time? No, there are better alternatives

My opinion:

D 'Original Bumbu sells traditional Singapore Muslim food including lontong, nasi ambeng, nasi goreng, nasi lemak, nasi padang and nasi rawan. I have tried their lontong for $3.50. A simple lontong dish used to cost $2.30 to $2.80 and we were witnessing severe price hikes throughout Singapore for this simple Southeast Asian food.

I was given 4 rice cakes, 1 tau kua, 1 full egg, cabbages, carrots and coconut bits with curry. Their rice cakes were slightly sticky and softer than what their competitors sold (plus point). The owners put a lot of carrots into the food. This was the first time in my life that carrots were the more important ingredient over cabbages and cai dao (common bean) in lontong meals. Curry was flavorful and not too thick or thin, just right for this Malay dish. Chili mixed nicely with the curry and added spiciness to the soup.

If the owners want more business and fans, I will strongly suggest that they add 2 more rice cakes or reduce the price of their lontong. I will advise lontong fans to try other alternatives in the same hawker centre or visit Haig Road Food Centre (3 minute walk).

Comments