Review of Ya Chuan 亚川

Block 216, Bedok North Street 1 Market and Food Centre, #01-30
Nearest Mass Rapid Transit Station: Bedok MRT
Buses to Bedok North Street 1 Market and Food Centre: 14, 66, 69, 168, 222, 228
Opening Hours: 06:00 to 14:00 (Daily)
Queue: 1 to 3 people (Waiting Time: Less than 5 minutes)
Service: Fast and good
Environment: Clean hawker centre with plenty of seats
Reputation: Traditional Singapore Fried Kway Teow, Hokkien Noodles and Prawn Noodles
Thoughts after eating: Fulfillment
Value for money: 79/100
Will I come back in 6 months' time? No, there are better alternatives

My opinion:

Ya Chuan stands for "Asian River" in Chinese. This stall sells traditional Singapore fried kway teow, hokkien noodles and prawn noodles. I have tried their Penang fried kway teow for lunch. 

There were 1 lar cheong, 1 prawn, 4 cockles, bean sprouts, fish cakes and moderate amount of kway teow in my takeaway packet. The lone lar cheong was not only too little to add any points to the food but also gave me the impression that the owners were trying to save up on ingredients. The lone prawn was small and slightly sticky. Cockles were delicious, fresh and average sized. Bean sprouts were crunchy and well cooked. There were few egg ingredients and no pork lard or vegetables in the food (minus points). Kway teow was well fried and mixed very well with the hot chili.

After tasting really good Penang fried kway teow from Upper Boon Keng Food Centre, my expectations of this dish has risen to pretty high levels. This stall was very unlucky that I visited them so soon. If you are a fried kway teow fan living in Bedok or Tampines, I will definitely recommend their food. For people living in north or west of the country, I will suggest you give this stall a miss.

Comments