Review of Mr Bean Singapore

Block 311, New Upper Changi Road, Bedok Mall, #01-94
Nearest Mass Rapid Transit Station: Bedok MRT
Buses to Bedok Mall: 7, 9, 14, 16, 17, 18, 25, 26, 30, 30e, 32, 33, 35, 38, 40, 60, 66, 69, 87, 168, 196, 197, 222, 225 (Green), 225 (White), 228, 229, 401
Opening Hours: 10:00 to 22:00 (Daily)
Queue: 3 to 5 people (Waiting Time: 6 to 10 minutes)
Service: Fast and good
Environment: Clean mall stall with air con
Reputation: Traditional Singapore Beverages, Desserts, Grass Jelly and Soya Products
Thoughts after eating: Cheap and good
Value for money: 80/100
Will I come back again in 6 months' time? Yes

My opinion:

Mr Bean Singapore is not related to the British comedy show of the late 1980s and early 1990s. This company is extremely popular in Singapore and has branches throughout the island. They sell a wide range of Singapore beverages, desserts, grass jelly and soya products.

Honestly, I am a hardcore fan of Mr Bean Singapore so I will try my best to write an unbiased review of their food products. For this review, I decided to try out their bandung pearly soya milk ($2.20), watermelon soya milk ($2.20), Azuki red bean pancake ($1.00), tuna pancake ($1.00), chocolate pancake ($1.00), kaya pancake ($1.00), original soya milk ($0.90), original soya bean curd ($0.90) and spicy minced chicken mushroom soya porridge ($3.30).

Bandung Pearly Soya Milk at Simei Mall:
The drink was small sized and had 4 tastes: bandung, "black pearls", soya bean and milk. I had to say that the stall helpers were skilful enough that the bandung taste was the dominant one but not to the extent of overwhelming the other 3 tastes. It was addictive, healthy, moderately sweet, not too "watered down" and was filled with crunchy little "black pearls" The "black pearls" were sweeter than what their competitors sold and did not have an artificial taste (major plus points).

Watermelon Soya Milk at Bedok Mall:

This drink was also small sized and had no "black pearls". Watermelon taste was a bit too "powerful". At times, I thought I was drinking a mild tasting watermelon juice. The drink was finished in less than 2 minutes with their big green straw.

Azuki Red Bean Pancake at Bedok Mall:

This pancake's original cost was $1.20 to $1.50. I managed to get it for $1.00 due to Mr Bean's Lianhe Wanbo newspaper promotion.

The food was average tasting and cold. Its red bean paste was not sweet enough. The pancake crust was not crispy or crunchy. I would never buy this pancake ever again even if I had a 50 percent discount.

Tuna Pancake at Bedok Mall:

This pancake's original cost was $1.20 to $1.50. Kudos to Mr Bean's Lianhe Wanbo newspaper coupon, I have tasted this "seafood" pancake for $1.00. Honestly, this was the first time in my life that I have eaten a pancake with fish ingredients inside it. My expectations of this food item were very high.

The tuna pancake was not crispy or warm enough. Tuna ingredients had a strong "fishy" taste. It was a pretty average pancake which lacked the "wow" factor.

Chocolate Pancake at Outram Park MRT:

Honestly, I can get larger chocolate pancakes at Bedok North Block 538 and Old Airport Road for the same price or less. Chocolate paste was addictive, sweet and thick. I managed to eat this pancake for $1.00 thanks to Mr Bean's Lianhe Wanbo newspaper promotional coupon.

Kaya Pancake at Outram Park MRT:

Same old story as the other 3 pancakes. The food was cold and did not have crispy skin. Kaya paste was fragrant, slimy, thick and mixed very well with the crust. I managed to taste this pancake for $1.00, with compliments to Mr Bean's Lianhe Wanbo newspaper promotional coupon.

Original Soya Milk at Outram Park MRT:

This drink was a bit too "light" and had a mild pungent bean taste. My advice to the owners will be to check the soya bean ingredients. By the way, my mother disliked this drink so much that she would not help me finish it. The real cost of this soya milk was $1.50. Kudos to Mr Bean's Lianhe Wanbo newspaper, I managed to try it for $0.90.

Original Soya Bean Curd at Bedok Mall:

The dessert was fresh, mildly sweet, smooth, filled with soya goodness and did not have any dryness or roughness problems commonly associated with poorly prepared bean curds. With compliments to Mr Bean's Lianho Wanbo Newspaper promotion, my mother and I managed to try out this original soya bean curd for $0.90. The actual cost of this healthy refreshment product is $1.40.

Spicy Minced Chicken and Mushroom Soya Porridge at Eunos MRT:

The actual cost of this healthy and unique porridge is actually $3.80. Thanks to Mr Bean's Lianhe Wanbo newspaper promotion coupon, I managed to get a $0.50 discount.

This dessert porridge was prepared right in front of me. Although this move ensured the freshness and warmth of the food, my waiting time was stretched to more than 5 minutes.

There were 1 piece of you zha kueh and small amount of porridge in my food portion. You zha kueh was too doughy, rough and small. Porridge was too plain tasting and lacked soya goodness. Although minced chicken meat and mushroom were addictive, spicy and tasty, the portions were also too little to satisfy the hunger of an adult.

Conclusion:

To sum up, their bandung pearly soya milk and soya bean curd were shiok while the watermelon soya milk and soya porridge were severe letdowns. The pancakes had delicious paste but their crusts were not crispy or crunchy enough. Mr Bean Singapore does serve good products but customers need to be careful of a few "black sheep".

Ways for the owners to improve their food ratings:

They should increase the size of their food portions and carry out more promotional sales.

Comments