Review of Zheng Xing Mei Shi 正兴美食

Block 270, Queen Street, Albert Centre Market and Food Centre, #01-64
Nearest Mass Rapid Transit Station: Bugis MRT
Buses to Albert Centre Market and Food Centre: 2, 32,33, 48, 51, 57, 61, 130, 133, 145, 170, 851, 960, 980
Opening Hours: 10:30 to 20:30 (Daily)
Queue: 1 to 3 people (Waiting Time: Less than 5 minutes)
Service: Fast and good
Environment: Clean but crowded hawker centre
Reputation: Traditional Singapore Desserts

Thoughts after eating: Average

Value for money: 62/100
Will I come back in 6 months' time? No, there are better alternatives

My opinion:

Zheng Xing means "upright and arising" while Mei Shi means "good food" in Chinese. This stall sells traditional Singapore desserts including green bean soup and tau suan.

I was stunned when I spotted a queue of 5 people in front of their stall after lunch peak hours. As I am a typical Singaporean, I also joined the queue! Long queue means good food? Wrong! I was laughed at by my friends when I told them I chose to have green bean soup with sago because Zheng Xing's signature dessert is tau suan ($1.60). 

Their green bean soup cost $1.50, which was at $0.30 to $0.50 more than what their competitors sold. There were huge amount of green beans but almost non-existent sagos (minus point). Green beans were rough and not soft enough. Dessert soup did not mix well with the coconut milk. It was almost like eating 2 separate desserts instead of 1. In fact, the soup was finished in less than 1 minute (obviously not enough and severe minus points) and I was left with rough green beans.

In conclusion, the green bean soup was one of the worst I have tasted in recent months. This was my first visit to this stall so this may be an one time mistake. Therefore, I will visit the stall again in the future to try out their signature tau suan.

Ways for the owners to improve their food ratings:

They are strongly advised to cut down on the amount green bean ingredients and to add more sagos and soup.

Comments