Review of Lion City Wan Tun Mee 狮城云吞面

Block 505, Beach Road, Golden Mile Food Centre, #01-84
Nearest Mass Rapid Transit Station: Lavender MRT
Buses to Golden Mile Food Centre: 7, 32, 51, 63, 80, 100, 145, 175, 197, 961, 980
Opening Hours: 11:00 to 20:00 (Daily)
Queue: 1 to 3 people (Waiting Time: Less than 5 minutes)
Service: Fast and good
Environment: Clean hawker centre with plenty of seats
Reputation: Traditional Singapore Dumpling Noodles and Wanton Noodles
Thoughts after eating: Shiok noodles and sauce but average tasting wantons
Value for money: 80/100
Will I come back in 6 months' time? Yes

My opinion:

Lion City specializes in traditional Singapore Chinese noodles. For this food review, I have tasted their wanton noodles for lunch. There were 5 steamed wantons, 8 char siew slices and moderate amount of noodles in my food portion.

Char siew was juicy, tender and did not have charred of fatty portions. Their noodles were "elastic", "QQ", fragrant and mixed very well with the other food ingredients. Their chili and noodle sauce was addictive, delicious, hot, thick and had a traditional taste.

What prevented their stall from getting an endorsement from our website (at least a rating of 90/100)? The 5 steamed wantons were average tasting and very small. Wanton skin was too thick and did not mix well with the meat ingredients. Soup was not oily or salty but too mild tasting. In fact, it tasted almost like hot plain water. The owners did not add green chili slices to the food (a major minus point).

After finishing the food, I actually felt sad for the owners. They were so close to greatness. I almost thought I have found a rare wanton noodle "diamond" in Beach Road.

Ways for the owners to improve their food ratings:

Review the wanton preparation and production process.

Comments